Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Me a racist?

First of all I have to make a statement to keep me out of trouble with those whom I associate. Below(and all I blog or post on) are MY personal opinions only. You may agree, you may disagree. I do not represent any group, organization, political candidate or government agency.

About a month ago I responded to a video put out by Derechos Humanos (Click here for the postings and video link) A group of illegal immigrants were arrested for Identity theft and some were deported while others were still serving jail time before their deportation. The group used this video to depict themselves as victim's. In the video they proclaim that they are not criminals and have done nothing wrong. They claim to be victims and cry about jail not being fun etc. etc. They are criminals. They broke the law, not much more to say about that.

I am tired of people being arrested and blaming Law Enforcement. If they didn't commit the crime in the first place then Law Enforcement wouldn't have been attracted to them. This was not the result of a two hour investigation, it was the result of a multi agency investigation which took their case a Judge getting arrest warrants for those involved. They showed the judge they had sufficient evidence for their arrest to constitute probable cause for a warrant. This doesn't mean they are guilty yet, they have a trial. Well, they were found guilty prior to this video. Yet these folks blame Law Enforcement for their arrests. I simply was impressed that the current laws were enforced. This is an attitude which has lead one poster to believe I am a racist. He has even tried to get me fired at work, but luckily my personal opinions are protected by the first amendment and my employer is well aware of this.

In the video produced by the group they chose to translate the video using English subtitles over verbal Spanish and verbal Spanish translations over the English text they inserted. I commented on this to explain another problem Mexican citizens have with their government which they bring over. The issue of illiteracy. Through classes I have taken, both at work and even a Spanish language class in college I had learned that when speaking with a Mexican citizen Spanish speaker it is more important to know how to speak the language than write it. One reason is for simple communication purposes, the other is because a large portion of that society can not read Spanish and can only speak it. This is certainly not true for the entire population but is certainly more prevalent in those of the lower class.

OK, what class of people from Mexico most predominantly come into the United States illegally? The lower class obviously. Now I want to be careful here. I know this is not a steadfast rule and I don't want to make the impression that no educated citizens of Mexico who are here illegally. Likewise, I don't want to make the assumption that if you are uneducated you can not be here through legal means.

I have extensive experience in the dealing with both legal and illegal immigrants. My experience has supported my teachings. Most often those illegal aliens from Mexico I come into contact with can not read or write the Spanish language. Some can not even read it enough to be able to read their license plates to know which is to be posted on the front of their vehicle and which goes on the rear of the vehicle. The plates are clearly marked in the Spanish language, but when asked, they can not read it.

Now does this viewpoint make me a racist? or Are my observations based on teachings and experiences and generally considered to be accurate? I'll let you decide for yourself, but I believe it is the later.

Now I have focused only on illegal immigrants from Mexico in this post. That is simply because they are the most common in this region of the United States. I have seen very little from other countries (1 from Jamaica and a few from European nations.) Look at a map and you will see why. No oceans between our borders, that's why.

I really take exception to being called racist. I strive to treat each person to whom I deal with respect regardless of race. I will give them the respect they give me and often a hole lot more. I am a strong Christian and I see anything less to be a sin. I stand behind my viewpoints. If I am wrong in any way I will entertain an adult discussion in the matter. A two way discussion. If you prove me wrong I will freely admit it. I will not entertain yelling and childish discourse. I have learned quite a bit by having good debates. I have been wrong before. Am I wrong now?

1 comment:

  1. No! You're Definately NOT a Racist! That is Crazy that Someone Would or Could Try to Label You That! If You Can't Call a illegal an illegal Anymore or a Criminal, We Have Reached a New Low in America When Concerning Enforcing Our Borders. Enforcing Our Borders Properly with the Existing Laws Already on The Books Would Do US Well as it Always Has but For Some Reason America has been Looking the Other Way and Allowing Pretty Much Anyone/Everyone in. That Puts an Unneccessary Strain on Our Law Enforcement, Our Hospitals and Our School Systems. Not to Mention Our Prisons and Jails Which are Already Full and Crowded from Americans Breaking the Law.
    America Needs to Quit Giving these illegal Aliens Who Break the Law Coming in Here with NO INTENTION on Coming Here Legally the Right Way, a Free Pass and Calling them Victims when Local Law Enforcement Catches up with these People and Prosecutes them to the Fullest Extent Our Law Permits.
    There's Good Reasons America has Borders and Should be Enforcing them. National Security is a Big Part of that! God Knows How Many Bad People Can Make it Through Our Borders Right Now and Get Away with it.
    You're Not a Racist. You're a Good Man. You're a Good Cop. You're a Good Friend. Just Keep Doing What You Do Best and Let God Worry about the Rest Brother! ;)

    ReplyDelete