Monday, July 20, 2009

Observations of younger voters.

I was speaking to a co-worker who was out at Tea Party gathering at Gabby Giffords. He had spoken with ThebigShmoog and knew I was a friend. He was there for the whole event. No doubt he heard what was said and read the signs. His comments to me were this, "What's wrong with them wanting to stand out in the extreme heat?"and "It looked like a party, lots of cheering and honking" I asked If he knew why they were there and was told, "Yeah, I read the signs but I don't really know anything about that stuff." he was accompanied by another of my Co-workers who were there who expressed the same views.

I looked at them and just said"Well if you don't know about it now, you will if it gets passed and then it will be to late to complain and a lot harder to get rid of." I also pointed out that a lot of the issues will effect them directly at work.

I looked at them and realized they are both in their early 20's. They have no interest in getting involved. So I spoke to them some more. Told them about Cap and Trade and Health Care Reform Bills. I spoke to them about the Police and Fire Initiative and Fair Tax. I figured they would have heard about some of them, but they had not. I told them not to believe me and look at it on their own. I actually saw a spark as they realized how all of these issues really could effect them. Now I don't know if they will get involved or if they'll let it go, but at least they know a little something to get them started.

I realized that I am not the norm. I Have been interested in the happenings of Politics since high School and before I was old enough to vote. They could care less. This is why Obama was going after the young vote. They are a clean slate and if they only hear one side that is the side they will side with. How do we get the message out to this age group? I don't work in marketing, but obviously we need to get out to the venues where they draw in the younger voters. If you know some of these younger voters and you have the opportunity we need to bring it up. They can no longer sit back and let politics happen to them, they need to be involved. We need to get to them before the colleges do. We need to teach them to come to their own conclusions, research the issues and not allow some professor to bend their minds in the wrong direction. They will get interested somewhere in the future. Do we want it to be after colleges get a hold of them and turn them into mindless drones for the far left or teach them to research and understand the issues at hand before developing an opinion? The answer is obvious, but how? I am not the guy to give that answer. I have ideas, but I ask you, how do we get young voters to inform themselves and vote? One thing I do know, Parents need to teach their children by example and sit down and explain to them how to come to their own conclusions, read and research the issues. They need to do it early and the best way is for parents to get involved themselves. My children watch as I research issues, read large Bills and write my representatives. I speak with them about it in terms they can understand. I have no doubt they will do the same as they reach voting age.

Maybe not my best post, but was an observation I thought was worth writing about.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! I Enjoyed it anyways. I've been There and have Younger People of voting Age around Me ALL the Time. It's Frustrating to Me too. I watch them Say they don't care about politics but then complain about what the government is doing.
    Bottomline is this Country is theirs too and they Should be a Bigger Part of the Process ESPECIALLY if they're Voting. Nothing Ticks Me off More than Undereducated Voters Who Cast Their Vote on the Dog and Pony Show Instead of the ISSUES which are Really what is Important and What Really Counts. Back in the Early Years of Our Founding, the ONLY Way Presidents got Elected was by BEST MAN QUALIFIED. How I Miss those Days and Wish America Could Somehow Find it's Way back to that Way of Thinking again.

    ReplyDelete